Friday, I had my oil changed. It wasn't until I had driven all the way from Sacramento to San Francisco that I realized, due to a disturbing sound originating from my engine, that they had failed to put new oil into my car. Of course, the didn't forget to write recommendations on other things that may need work though. Afraid that if I called there would be no recourse, I didn't call to complain today. I was trying to think how I would manage without a car for even two months. Due to the nature of my job, I travel a lot so I picked up the phone and asked to talk to a manager. I was deliberate in my tone and they agreed they would fix it at no cost and pay for the towing. I was amazed how my "policy advocate voice" and way of expressing a point could get me better customer service. When I have gone about asking for compensation in other ways, I have always failed. I picked a line and remained strictly professional to maintain that line until my needs were met.
I was listening to NPR the other day, and this man was talking about how he can negotiate 10,000 dollars off of the sticker price of a car. I was I could talk a class in his stoic negotiation tactics.
It also helped me to keep in mind that the person who forgot, may have been having a really bad day. Forgetting to do that wasn't intentional, and being aggressive in my mindset against this person would only further aggravate the situation. We all forget sometimes and make mistakes, and yes that includes HUGE mistakes. Keeping this perspective not only helped me in communicating my needs, but also in not allowing my frustration ruin my weekend...
BECAUSE I did some amazing things this weekend. On Saturday evening, I spent the night at a friend's in San Francisco and we counted bonfires on the beach, ate overlooking the ocean, and drank hot chocolate before bed. Sunday, I had the chance to volunteer for the Youth Training Project's Winter Leadership Institute for their new youth trainers. I love being able to be in community with this group of people. Even though it was a lot of people preparing food for so many people, it was uplifting to see them work, and merely being with them.
Today, I rested. I think MLK would respect that everyone needs a day to recenter themselves for their work.
No comments:
Post a Comment