Last week, the organization that I work for lost one their members in a car-bike accident. We were asked to support the chapter and the other members as they deal with their grief about the loss of a young, genuine soul.
I would love to be there, but I have no idea how. In no point in my life have I ever dealt with grief in a natural way that was neither numb or full of resentment. Recently, I have been meaning to find a workshop dealing with this issue and I found one in Berkeley, but the intensity that may surface terrifies me. But I know I should begin to learn these skills to be more of a support to those around me.
There is a debriefing activity that was suggested, having members write a letter to the person who passed that expresses unfinished matters and feelings/thoughts about the other person. After this, the entire group has the chance to share the letter with everyone else. When this process is over, you can also give the option of lying the letter to rest. Perhaps burying it near a tree or putting all of the letters in a box together.
Cathartic, that's the aim: an activity that perhaps begins or prompts the healing process.
No comments:
Post a Comment