Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Self Evident Truths

On my day off, I am delightfully rummaging through queer theory on the interweb. This did not happen purposefully.  I had visited ted.com/talks just to see some updated videos and see if anything caught my attention. iO Tillett Wright did.  When I get very busy, one of the first things that I forget about myself is that I love art, especially photography that has a purpose.

iO's photograph campaign, Self Evident Truths, is such a powerful display of emotion and human reality.  Being so powerful, the pictures lend themselves and are made by the social cause that they were created for.  The context gives them voice.  There have been campaigns that hers have been modeled from, but the mission makes it new.  Or maybe the concept that we still haven't been able to look at those who are slightly different than use in a human lens is what keeps the idea fresh...

check out her Ted Talk: Fifty Shades of Gay
and her website: Self Evident Truths

No comments:

Post a Comment