When you lay down for a nap and wake up 12 hours later, I think it is valid to say that you were paying back some sleep debt. I had some really ambitious dreams to go to the library and get my library card, change my address on my online dmv account, and do some planning for South Africa. All of which went to the wayside in order for me to get some optimal dream time in.
My new apartment is starting to come together, I am going for a minimalist, playful, zen theme and I am not sure how that is going to turn out, but searching for the pieces has bolstered my independence, while being a great adventure.
Yesterday, I cam across an article in the New York Times titled "Can Forgiveness Play a Role in Criminal Justice?". The piece documents what a Restorative Justice process could look for the parties involved when a harm is done by someone to another. Rather than proceed to attempt to rectify the wrongs done by the traditional justice system this process brings the victim and the wrong-doer into one process in order to seek a decision to address the wrongs and hold the wrong-doer personally accountable.
If you choose to read the piece, you can see how emotionally charged it is at times and how the process is deeply personal for those involved. Having been through one of these processes myself, and having sat in a circle for seven hours, I can say that it is draining and emotionally charged on all sides of the circle. The moderator should be highly trained and everyone going in as a support should be prepped, because even they will have strong emotional reactions to the restoration process.
But I think it can work. I know it can. The pain from an injustice isn't fully healed from this process, or maybe not at all, but it is a step....
No comments:
Post a Comment