Saturday, October 6, 2012

Returning Home A Day Later

Tomorrow I am off to visit my cousin and her family in Trier, which is on the other side of Germany neighboring Luxembourg, France, and the Netherlands.  Perhaps a day trip or two will be in order.  Since my ride on mitfahrgelgenheit fell through, it was up to last minute booking a train ticket in order for this trip to become a reality.

Going out last night turned into a 24 hour adventure.  Exploring the topics of relationships became the main theme. And through going out, bar hopping, brunch making, and trashy tv watching I think we acted out what partners would do with friends.

I watch my facebook feed and I see so many people my age getting married and having children.  Next month, I'll be 23, not in a relationship and with a current status of world wanderer.

I have great friends that I can be a wanderer with, and I would prefer to stay single if I am not in a healthy relationship where I am becoming a better, stronger individual.

Over some time I have decided that these are some things that I want.  I am going to avoid ordering them, because aspects in a relationship have ways of balancing each other, so level of importance falls to the wayside when balance comes into play:


  • Someone who respects the passion I have for the work that I do, and is following some sort of passion of their own.
  • Forgiveness, and a willingness to talk about the good, bad, and ugly through laughter, tears, and the occasional "Are you kidding me?!" face.  Life is going to have its ups and downs, but if you ignore them they tend to intensify. I work in a field where I confront the difficult, so when someone is not willing to do the same, I am not interested in that kind of unrealistic view of what life is.
  • Someone who calls and asks me how I am, even if they know I haven't done anything noteworthy in the last two days.
  • Someone who goes out of their way to surprise me with things to show that they are paying attention. ( I read once that a good way to decipher how someone wants to be treated by others, especially in significant relationships, is how they treat the other person.) I do that. 
  • An adventurer, either in mind, spirit, or on land. And a listener.
  • A sense of hope and honesty that ties everything together and validates the relationship.
However, I may just have to learn to be content to be a working wanderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment