Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Articulation

Refocus.  Wouldn't it be amazing to feel the effects of refocusing our everyday speech. As I am watching the Presidential Debate on foreign policy, it is clearly obvious that the verbiage is very focused on words along the lines of death, kill, war, and protect.  Where is peace, community, strength, and cooperation?

Just like in individual psychology, the words used in common communication regarding an issue have the ability to slightly alter the lens in which the situation is viewed, and can have an impact on those involved in the discussion and those listening.  The words we use emphasize what we find is important and noteworthy.  While it is important to be realistic and transparent about negative aspects of life in order to address them and come to terms with them, it is also important to convey a sense a hope and healing when discussing the future.

Cultivating anger, revenge, and malice will only beget this kind of interactions.

I'm not looking for an extreme policy shift, I am realistic here, but I think the U.S. could truly benefit from a language usage shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment