Saturday, February 2, 2013

Saturday Sale Searching

I really love doing things in a quirky way.  Instead of driving while doing my Saturday sale searching I decided to drive. GREAT DECISION! I find that life can be boring if you do not open yourself up to the more difficult or less popular option. Albeit, I did not realize how far my walk was going to become or how I couldn't actually carry anything that I wanted to buy.

I'm getting sidetracked...

My point is that along my journey that I was beginning to think wasn't worthwhile, (Yes, even when I was very tempted by all the old lady blazers and flannel in GoodWill and did not buy anything because I was being prudent in anticipating my coming trip to South Africa) I found joy.  I left GoodWill and was walking down the street when I passed a homeless man.  People always tell me that making eye contact is dangerous, but I always make eye contact and respond when someone says something to me. I have never been harmed, and I think my openness actually disarms the other person with surprise. He smiled at me and extended his Capri Sun to me, and said "here you are".

I replied, "No thank you, but thanks for offering." Never stopping my calm stride.

He looked after me and said excitedly, "Thank you."

To which I turned my head and said warmly, "Have a great day sir."  He followed me with his eyes, a great smile, and a little chuckle.

What a guy.  In his offer, he showed such genuine kindness and joy, despite his position.  Sitting on a curb, eating what lunch he could gather or be given.  His actions speak to a natural human impulse to give as well as receive.  How amazing is it to be able to share that with someone.

I appreciated his offer even if I did not need a Capri Sun. He made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment