We landed at 7am local time in Johannesburg. I met some great characters on the flight including a South African/Portuguese journalist and a Canadian who married her husband while they were both working the carnival. From the airport we headed right to our hostel. The summer weather was giving us shining beams and we headed off to a tour of downtown Johannesburg and Soweto.
We ventured off to see homeopathic healing beliefs and townships. As well was Nelson Mandela's house and the Apartheid Museum. I feel I like I have a lot to process, but I'm not sure I can try to articulate on such little sleep. I wouldn't do it justice.
One of the most touching things that happened to me was as I was walking through the neighborhood of Kliptown in the township of Soweto, a woman came up and started walking next to me. In a low voice she whispered how she was struggling. The toddler strapped on her back looked at me with this deep, wise eyes. The expression in his eyes was different then I seen in young children. It was like he was already wise about the troubles of the world, and knowingly telling me that I was too small to solve them.
No comments:
Post a Comment