Every time I accomplish something small, it is amazing how proud of myself I am. Last time I lived in Germany, I was here for 6 months. However, I was never able to send a postcard because I was too afraid to go into the post office to buy stamps. I was afraid of being asked a question and being thrown off of my mental track and frozen in that embarrassing moment for all time. That being said, I did manage to send a package once- a package that had feelings of romance behind it, which always makes finding the courage to do something easier. Yes, I know how silly being frozen in time sounds, but even I have some ridiculous insecurities when it comes to speaking in another language. I never want to feel like I am inconveniencing someone, so the majority of the time I just don't ask for something if I feel a large language barrier.
But the more I travel, I realize that 10 seconds of extreme discomfort is well worth the effort. So, I sent out the first round of postcards that I have ever sent from abroad.
No comments:
Post a Comment