Friday, September 13, 2013

Oh, Social Justice Folks

450 dollars later and I have all of my textbooks for the first quarter of law school. I seemed to forget, readily, how expensive it is to buy textbooks.

Yesterday, I went to the Indian Law Symposium at the University of Washington. They discussed this case: Adoptive Couple vs. Baby Girl. Many were adamant that a decision in favor of the couple was an injustice. But people?!?!  The father had no involvement in the child's life and was willing and ready to sign over his parental rights. In fact, when he signed the adoption papers, he thought he was signing over his parental rights. Under South Carolina state law, his behaviors constituted a forfeiture of parental rights, and since the child had been residing there and living with the adoptive family. The ruling was in favor of the couple.

Don't get me wrong, I am for Native American rights and fighting for justice, but the conversations around this topic at the symposium seemed so blind to children's rights and the best interest of the child.  AHHHH, people, can't you have an interdisciplinary informed approach to social justice?!?!? Children are not property. They are individuals. Separating them from a caregiver at such a young age causes attachment issues and early trauma. AND AND you wanted to place here with a father that had no involvement in her life and wanted to forgo his parental rights?!?

You're kidding right.

No comments:

Post a Comment