Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A letter for you. A letter for you.

Today I wish that I could write a letter to everyone I care deeply about.  Whenever I sit to write a letter I go through an initial uncomfortable phase.  Then I turn some sappy music on, put one ear bud in, and just start typing.  Nothing is in complete sentences.  Most times I don't even record the entire thought, but I go through one emotion at a time.  This is not to say that I am done with that emotion.  I explore it until it is finished then it flows into another emotion, maybe to pop its emotional strength back at a later time in the later.

That is what makes letter writing so raw for me.  It never captures everything and rarely even encompasses all I had to communicate.  Yet, the natural shift through emotions that I feel when I am writing and what comes out in the written product makes the process worthwhile. In the past I have started writing a letter being angry, and by the time I was finished feeling disappointment, or starting off sad and ending up thankful.

Written word forces you to think through and explore yourself. When words are written, I don't want them to be empty, so very few are disposable.

No comments:

Post a Comment