Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Today was a day about reflection. When I engage with black letter law and legal concepts it is really easy to spot where the disconnect often occurs for various racial and ethnic groups, and socio-economic classes of individuals.

I received a phone call from an old place of work to give me an update. After hearing the news, I took to google. Researching is what new and lawyers-in-training do. I researched the name and the news was the first thing that appeared in my search bar. I looked through the other people who were arrested in the "sting." Unsurprisingly, the majority of those arrested were of color, and present in the population were a disproportionate amount of transgender people of color. Sad. Sad. Sad. I have serious doubts about policing practices in the U.S. and this only serves to further solidy my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment