Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Vivid Dreaming

Alas, my dreams have caught up with me. Perhaps that is a slight exaggeration, but when I wake up at 5 am on the weekdays in order to go to the gym I always wake up during a dream cycle. This morning my dream was particularly violent, and although I do not always enjoy waking up at such an early hour, I was very glad to have this dream interrupted before the injuries that I was seeing become exposed in more detail.

The funny thing is, I have no idea where my mind gets this violent and graphic images from. As a child I witnessed violent things, but never to the extent that was revealed in my dreams. Maybe I caught a glimpse of injuries on the television, but this makes me wish that I hadn't. Why would you want to expose yourself and others to such trauma on a daily basis via media sources. I can't watch graphic violence in movies or on television anymore because I find it disturbing, but I didn't find it as disturbing in elementary or high school.

Ok, for example, my dream this morning featured a couple on a beach. The beach was somewhat of a geographic wonder. The winds were very strong and the beach was more like a series of cliffs covered with greenish yellow algea. There were a few other people out in the cliffs as the tide became to come in, but the couple had an argument and the male tried to leave. In an attempt to leave he jumped from the cliff hoping to drift in the wind. As soon as he jumped, the wind let up and he crashed into the rocks.

I have never seen a climbing ot rock accident in real life, and I hope never to see one. But how could my imaginiation be so vivid as to picture the damage that could occur from such an accident? Wild.

Conversely, maybe this is an extension of the nightmarish dreams that I have always had in association with the ocean.

Funny, because I just visited Wesport, WA this weekend and saw a coast line that is very different than the east coast and the Northern California coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment