Friday, November 15, 2013

Strength

What is strong?  I would say that strong is many different things to various people. The term is vague and applied to physical, mental, and emotional traits.

So, then what kind of strength do I look for in a partner or friend?

Emotional and mental strength. The depth of each depends on what I need or am willing to give to the relationship. In a partner, I need emotional and mental strength because my life is chaotic. I want to help that other person, but I want them to also be there for me.

Here is a list of the kinds of strengths that I want:

-Firm in speech, when you say something, do it. Don't be hesitant.
-Come back later and apologize if you were wrong, but until you get there, act with a purpose.
-Act. It is fine to be upset with something for awhile, but make a plan to fix it and act on it.
-Again, act. I want to be your cheerleader, but I don't want to feel like your mother.
-If you are upset about something, think about what you could have done to make that better. Not everything is everyone else's fault. Even when it is, there are things that you can do to mitigate the pain or ignore it.
- Cry, but don't let it consume you.. talk through it. Don't let your tears disempower you. Let them motivate you.
-Listen. Put your needs to the side for a minute. Listen.
-Ask difficult questions. Ask questions that you think the answer might hurt. If you are thinking them, but not asking them it will ruin the relationship.
-I'm honest, I'll tell you. Be prepared for honesty and willing to have a conversation about it.

Remember that there will be two people in the relationship and both have different ways of communicating. Make your list of things that you need. I need strength, or I don't want to be in a relationship. I would have more energy single if I am only giving strength and not receiving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment