Thursday, December 6, 2012

Before the movie, the book

My ability to devour a book in its entirety in one day is truly a gift sometimes. Albeit, I wish I was slower with some books to truly take in every sentence.  However, i suppose not every sentence has meaning.

A few weeks ago, I was intent on watching The Perks of Being A Wallflower.  This plan failed because of some very unfortunate events, and I choose to wallow in those instead of watching a boot-legged version that my friends and found on the internet.  In the heat of the last few weeks, I forgot about the film. This was until I decided to check out a book club that was reading the perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.  Last night, before heading to the roller rink for some down time, I picked the book up from Barnes and Noble.

I AM SO GLAD I DID.  Now, I am excited to see the film interpretation of the book.  Yet, I am fully aware that it will not be the same.

For some reason, I have been dreaming about people I knew in high school lately.  These are never particularly fond dreams, as I was an outcast, especially during my junior and senior years.  Or maybe that was the first time I was able to be vocal about it.  This book sheds light on some of those issues, and how high school can truly be formative years for the development of a person's personality.  High school isn't as profound as college and the course material did not serve to make me an enlightened individual, college did that.  But high school made me realize a lot about people and the social dynamic of people functioning in groups.  I will carry those lessons with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment