Since I am usually too busy to plan anything on my birthday, I thought it apt to consider why I do this. I think its a defensive mechanism I use in case everyone forgets my birthday and doesn't have time for me. This way I can say that I was too busy to actually organize anything. The sad thing is, I feel like it is forgotten every year and this is my pathetic way of covering it up.
My birthdays as a child were a psychological mind play for my mother, so they were never, ever fun.
But as I got older I turned them into games of life..
Like when I was 17 and I decided it would be a great idea to take 2 people I knew and drive from NJ to Ohio on my provisional license to hang out in a shady hotel and check out Oberlin College.
Or when I was 18 and went to a concert in NYC to see my favorite band, got on the opposite train from my best friend, and had forgotten my cell phone in her car. However, we got to meet the band, free tickets to the show the next night in NJ, and from there blossomed an unhealthy but totally free concert going experience for 2-3 years.
When I was 19 I spent the whole day filling water ballons, a pinata, and buying silly string and had a great freshman dorm party. Yeah, before the time of the year when everyone hated each other.. or I greatly disliked them. Pick your poison.
20 was celebrated with a dinner and my roommate showing me I had wasted a lot of time in a friendship.
and thus 21 and 22 were completely under the radar. I think so much so that they almost made me forget how to celebrate.
So here is to 23, gonna give it a grand go for my birthday twin, Helen.
No comments:
Post a Comment