Trying to force yourself to write a blog entry before you go to sleep after being awake since 6am is like staying in the yoga position downward facing dog for 5 minutes too long.
Although my posts, when tired, are never as articulate as I would prefer them to be I am giving as grand an effort as I can muster.
After work, I made my way to the Babylon Kino to the Berlin premiere of Snowchild, which is a film featuring one of my good friend's clothing line. The main character wears a piece that was one of Verena's main pieces in 2010. She was working on this line when I left Berlin last time, and it was perfect timing that I would be able to catch the premiere when I came back to Berlin.
The movie itself was in Japanese and I had to read the German subtitles, except for the 3 lines that were in English. Despite not having the working vocabulary to understand every word, I was able to pull out the main themes of the movie and understand what was happening. Overall, it was a touching film with a dark twist. Focusing mostly on the darker aspects of humanity, it shed positive light on the misgivings of human nature. The plot is hard to explain, but the culmination of the film ends with the end of the theme of suicide that ties the entire movie together. Snowchild, the main character is so desperately miserable that she doesn't give any attention to the one who has a genuine and innocent love for her. Before, (and I mean before as in seconds before she realizes this and takes action), this person commits suicide. Her inability to recognize the positive aspects of her life, because her devout attention to the negative, causes her to lose what could have been a way out of her misery. Despite this, the movie ends with a tinge of hope that she can use this new found knowledge to bring personal strength to her future.
The Movie
Alas, it is time for bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment